• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How much water is too much water?

bignbrown

Bluelighter
For the past week ive been using poppy pods recently and drinking alot of the teas, and also ive been drinking ALOT of water to counter the dry mouth from both the opiates and the antihistamines. The thing im worried about is that both antihistamines and opiates cause urinary rentention by themselves and together its really quite bad, it tastes me a while for the pee to come out, and when it does im peeing straight for SO LONG. I havent had a drink in a while so im thinking if i had drank a dangerous amount id be feeling ill by now and im juts being paranoid lol.

So how much is too much?

it depends on the person.

Headache and nausea are two signs of too much water. Pitting edema, confusion, and difficulty breathing means you should head to the hospital.

I can't drink much more than 2-3L a day without problems but im on NSAIDs for a shoulder injury that have affected my kidneys functioning.

Sugar and electrolytes should help...as should less anti-histamines and less poppy pod tea lol.

guess yes ill stop now, i haad a bit of a headache earlier but no other symptoms.

Guess im just being paranoid as i know it takes alot of water to cause damage.

When I don't drink a lot of water, I get massive headaches.

On my lazy days, I drink 100oz of water. Active days, 200-300oz. And I'm "tiny."

I asked my doctor about this, if it was dangerous. First, she had me tested for diabetes (as excessive thirst is a symptom)--came back negative. She told me as long as I'm not drinking it all at once, I should be fine.

Did some reading on it myself. The human liver can filter 5 gallons/liters* 15 liters in a day.

*I cannot remember which it was--gallons or liters. I know it makes a difference, but I doubt you're drinking anywhere near that.

Last edited:
Hm. You could switch back and forth between water and gatorade or another drink with electrolytes and maybe not have to worry as much?

And once in a while I have dry mouth from smokin pot - I chew a piece of gum and that seems to help a lot.

I think one should drink 9-10 300ml glasses of water in a day and 3-4 glasses of water in the morning i.e water therapy is very useful. Thanks

dopey substances make my pees last a while too, that's really not a problem unless you are drinking absurd amounts and retaining it. drinking teas is not so bad; a lot of teas are diuretics too, but this is only really a problem if you are forcing uncomfortable amounts of fluids down.

i drink about a gallon a day of water and a half gallon of skim milk. And then about a quarter gallon of juice and a couple cups of coffee.

I was at probation once, and they make you chug literally liters of water in one sitting so you go to the bathroom fast. I ended up having a seizure in the middle of a drug test. I have epilepsy just so you know. But anyway my sodium levels were wiped out due to excessive water consumption and that lowered the threshold for seizures.

Anyway, I get headaches all the time now at probation and get dizzy from excessive water consumption.

meant to mention if you increase water consumption then you should increase electrolytes particularly sodium/potassium (table salt and bananas are a good source respectively).

while hiking in warm weather its suggested that you drink 1-2 liters per hour so I think you'll be ok as long as your not chugging gallons.

I drink at least a gallon of green tea a day, plus about 100z of water. Never had any issues.

Water should be outlawed on the principle that too much water can kill you. Water is a silent killer, let's make some bad papers on this evil fluid. And let's put in jail those who carry this devil glou-glou.

Would like to bump this as I'm sure I'm not the only one who has been wondering this, especially lately with the heat I know we've been having in this part of the country.

I am now drinking 9-12 liters of water a day. I do not drink anything else. Had lab work done to see if this has caused any issues--Waiting on the results.

When I told my doctor how much water I was drinking, she asked me to clarify that I meant liters and not another measurement. I showed her my water bottle (holds 100oz/3L) and told her I drink 2-3 of them while at work and 1-2 more while at home. She said that it is not dangerous as long as I'm not drinking it all at once. As I posted once before (incorrectly, though it is now fixed :p), the human body can filter 15 liters of water in a day.

I am more concerned about the sudden increase in thirst. Used to be fine drinking 6-9 liters while being very active. It jumped very suddenly to 9-12 liters, even when I'm inactive.

Like I said, just waitin' on the labs to come back... :-/

I drink at least a gallon of green tea a day, plus about 100z of water. Never had any issues.

Some teas (I think green tea is included) can dehydrate you a bit, but also have benefits that even out the dehydration. That might be why you have no issues with how much you're drinking.

Water should be outlawed on the principle that too much water can kill you. Water is a silent killer, let's make some bad papers on this evil fluid. And let's put in jail those who carry this devil glou-glou.

I'm confident you're joking. If you're not, could you elaborate?

Hi Guys.. I think that an average person should take 15 to 17 glasses of water in summer and 12 glasses of water in winter season i think the quantity is much for drinking . What is your opinion about it ? .

15-17 glasses of water is about 180 to 204 ounces of water a day, or about six liters in the summer.

144 ounces in the winter.

Both of these seem like fine measurements. I personally can drink anywhere from 80 to 200 ounces of water a day, depending on how I feel. Just make sure to add more water to that if you're exercising hard throughout the day.